Monday, December 11, 2006

The Kindergarten Tour

Two women in their 30s are walking through the halls of elementary school. Susan is the parent volunteer hosting the tour, which is just now concluding. Pamela is a mother on the tour.

Susan: Did you have any other questions?

Pamela: I don’t think so. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about the school.

Susan: Actually, I’d like to just talk to you a second, because our girls would be going into kindergarten together.

Pamela: Sure.

Susan: My daughter was born in August and I’m so glad, if you’re looking at early admission for your daughter, that she won’t be the youngest in the class.

Pamela: Right. Mine was born in September – just two weeks after the cut-off.

Susan: I know. I’ve just been feeling, you know, like everyone thinks I’m pushing her or something.

Pamela: Yeah. I know, but kids are just ready for school at different times.

Susan: Oh, I know. I’m glad someone’s on the same page as I am.

Pamela: But your older daughter. She’s in first grade here and she really likes the program?

Susan: Oh, absolutely. And I always feel safe about her being here. Especially since, you know, I was really surprised to find out that fifty percent of the kids are in the free lunch program.

Pamela: Yeah?

Susan: I know. Isn’t that amazing? Fifty percent of the kids. And it’s so funny, because you look around and you can’t really tell which ones they are. Well, some of them stick out. Some of them, you know, I think that their parents aren’t speaking English around the house because they’re not giving them any help with their homework.

Pamela: Really.

Susan: Yeah. Fifty percent of the kids in poverty. It’s like, I hope they’re getting something to eat at home. I hope they have food to eat. And clothing. I mean, somebody should do something about that.

Pamela: Oh sure.

Susan: But you know, you just can’t tell with most of them. Aside from those few, you wouldn’t know which ones are living in poverty.

Pamela: Right. They blend right in. Just like the Jews.

Susan: Yeah -What?

Pamela: Oh, never mind. I’m so glad our girls look like they’re getting along. It’ll be so much fun for them to be friends next year.

No comments: