Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dig You in Deep

Three little girls and a youngish mother are standing in the sandbox at the playground. Jane (5) and her mother are well dressed. Lulu (7) and Betsy (5) are sisters, dressed in clothes that are slightly too small and somewhat out of style.

Mama: Come on! Don’t you want to make another sandcastle?

Jane: I have an idea! I’m gonna bury you, Mama.

Mama: Bury me? Oh noooooo! Don’t bury me!

Lulu: Can we play?

Jane: C’mon! Let’s bury her!

Betsy: Yeah! We’re gonna bury you!

Lulu: We’re gonna dig you in deep!

Mama (playfully): NO! Oh no! How ever will I get out?

Lulu: We’re gonna dig you in so deep, you’ll never get out.

Betsy: You’ll stay there forever and ever!

Jane: Yeah. Forever!

Mama: But what if I get hungry? Or thirsty?

Betsy: That’s too bad.

Jane: Yeah, that’s too bad.

Lulu: No food for you. We’re gonna dig you in so deep, you won’t even get food stamps.

Mama: Someone will rescue me.

Jane: Oh no they won’t. We’ll tell them not to.

Betsy: We won’t let anyone rescue your mom.

Mama: My fairy godmother will come and break me out!

Lulu: Oh no she won’t. There ain’t no such things as fairy godmothers.

Betsy: Yeah. They’re not real.

Mama: Well then a giant earthquake will rumble underground and crack me outa this sand.

Jane: Uhuh.

Betsy: There aren’t any earthquakes here. That won’t work.

Mama: Well, your Mama will come and dig me out.

Lulu: Na-ah. Our Mom’s not here. She’s at home ‘cuz her boyfriend’s over.

Betsy: We might hafta move to another apartment.

Mama: Well, then. When the sky gets dark and everyone else goes home, the trees will start moving around. They’ll see me stuck in here and feel sorry for me and pull me out.

Betsy: Trees don’t move!

Jane: Yeah! Trees don’t move. That’s silly.

Mama: Well, then giant turtles underneath the sand will wake up and lift me out of here.

Lulu: That’s silly. Only God can lift you up!

Betsy: Yeah! And God is dead!

Voice (offstage): Lulu! Betsy! Git your butts back in the house before I hafta come after you! Quit buggin’ that woman and git over here!

Lulu: Ok ok. We gotta go.

Mama: Well, it was nice playing with you girls? Wasn’t it, Jane?

Jane: Yeah. It was nice playing with you.

Betsy (threateningly): You better be here when we get back tomorrow. We’re gonna dig you in all the way up to your eyes!

Betsy and Lulu run offstage.

Jane: Mama. If your fairy godmother doesn’t come, I’ll dig you out.

Mama: Thanks, pussycat. She’s probably just a little busy right now. The end of the month is real busy for fairy godmothers.

No comments: